Move preparation and moving day are important milestones. But your “After Moving Checklist” is just as important and will help you settle nicely into your new home. We have already had a blog post about creating a checklist for your move. Today we want to discuss the checklist for after your arrival in your new home.
To-dos for your after moving checklist
- Utilities: This should already be taken care of before you move in. After all, you want to be sure to have water, electricity, gas etc. from the start. However, it is important to make sure the past and previous utilities are taken care of (cancelled, transferred or newly set up)
- Unpack your box with moving essentials: These are those items you sorted in advance so you have your essentials for the first night are easily accessible in one place.
- Prepare the beds, so that you can relax once you are done for the day.
- A good all-over cleaning: No time like the present to get the windows washed and clean the insides of the cabinets, fridge, garage etc. It is much easier to take care of these things while everything is organized.
- Groceries: Stock up on groceries to fill fridge and pantry.
- Unpack your moving boxes: Once you are surrounded by your familiar items, it will look much more like home. If you have an inventory list, this is also the time to verify that everything has arrived safely. Don’t unpack everything at once though. Do it methodically, so you are not surrounded by too much chaos.
- Before you put your dishes, glasses and cutlery into their respective drawers and cabinets, run them quickly through the dishwasher. That way everything will be clean from the start.
- If you have small children and/or pets: Make sure to child-proof/pet-proof the place to avoid accidents.
- Take a break in between and sit down together for a meal. It has been a stressful day. If you had friends helping you with the move, make sure to feed – and thank – them as well!
- You don’t need to do it all on your first day. See that you go to bed at a decent time and get a good amount of sleep.
These are just some of the to-dos for your after moving checklist. Your individual circumstances and location do, of course, play a role in what else might be involved. You can also find further resources and tips in our link list below.
Bonus tips for settling in
Of course, settling in is just one milestone on your way to really feeling at home in your new place and new neighborhood. We have already written about some ideas to help you with that process.
- Does everybody concerned know of your address change? Make sure to notify them.
- Are your previous local ER, Urgent Care Clinic and other healthcare providers still near enough to your new address? If not, you might consider locating a new facility nearby. At the very least, inform yourself about the closest Hospital/ER.
- Look for opportunities to introduce yourself to your neighbors (community facilities and events, dog walking etc.)
Sources and further reading: