It’s likely that you are going to buy a variety of items after you move. These might either be items you need to restock or such that you had held off buying until after the main part of the move is done. Now that the moving van is emptied and you have had a chance to take a breath, it’s time to think about some initial shopping. Still, while certain purchases at this point make a lot of sense, going on a big shopping spree might be a bit premature. Here are a few tips for what to buy first.
After you move
There are certain things you are going to need right away, like food and household items for the first days, e.g.:
- Perishables, groceries, and other household items: You probably did not bring many perishable grocery items along (due to the cooling situation in between old and new refridgerator). Now you have access to your new kitchen, and the move as such is done. This means it’s time to stock up on fresh and frozen food like eggs, dairy products, meat, fresh and frozen vegetables, salad, etc. You should also make sure to take care of beverages to ensure that you will stay hydrated. Don’t forget about toilet paper, either!
- Cleaning supplies and home improvement material: dish soap, laundry detergent, glass cleaner or carpet shampoo, light bulbs, wall paint and paint brushes etc.
The next step is about settling, customizing your interior, and making it your home:
- It’s likely that you have gotten rid of a variety of things in the process of packing your moving boxes and decluttering your home. Now it’s time to check: Which of those items need replacement that you had thrown away or recycled because they were damaged/broken?
- Sooner or later you might want to spruce up your place with new accessories and decoration. Still, it’s probably a good idea to get unpacked first. After all, it’s only then that you will have a better idea of what you already have and how everything looks in your new home.
- The question of new furniture depends on wether it is something you need right away because you don’t have it yet, or whether you simply want to update your current setup. It also depends on your budget: A move can get quite expensive. That’s why you might want to take your time before you invest in bigger purchases. So it really depends on your individual situation.
Before you move…
Now you hopefully have a better overview of the items you might want and/or need to purchase after you move. Before reaching that point, you first have to get your move done. Let us know if you need some help with that, and get your free moving quote today!
Sources and further reading: