Your moving essentials kit can be a bag, a suitcase or cardboard box. The format is of course far less important than what it is supposed to hold. Its purpose, like many of our other moving tips, is to make moving day a little bit less stressful for you.
What kind of items go into your moving essentials kit?
There are several kinds of things you might want to pack as your essentials. Depending on the number of household members involved you might even have to pack several essentials kits/boxes.
Mainly, your kits should contain the things you may need during moving day or directly after the move is complete. After all, you do not want to search for your things in your countless moving boxes. This is even more important if those moving boxes are still being transported, for example during a long-distance move. In contrast to those boxes, your moving essential kit stays with you, for example in the trunk of your car.
A second group of items that go into your essentials might be personal papers that you prefer to keep close at hand, like your passport.
Some of the items you should pack
This list is certainly NOT the complete list, but here are a few tips for things to pack for your moving essentials kit:
- A First Aid kit to deal with potential minor injuries.
- Medication you need to take.
- A change of clothes for the next day (or in case of long-distance moving even for several days) plus sleeping clothes.
- Bed sheets and pillows for the first night in your new home.
- Toiletries (soap, shampoo, shaving kit, comb/brush, deodorant, tooth brushes and tooth paste etc.).
- Wash cloths and towels.
- Toilet paper, tissues.
- Laundry detergent and general cleaning supplies (dish soap, all-purpose cleaner, cleaning sponges, paper towels etc.)
- Laptop/handheld computer etc.
- Chargers for your mobile phone and other electronics, as well as spare batteries for those electronics that cannot be charged.
- This is especially important when you have to go to work or have other time sensitive plans for the next morning: an alarm clock and/or an alarm clock app on your mobile phone.
- Your purse (if applicable)
- A few basic tools like screwdrivers, scissors, tape etc.
- Depending on the amount of space you have left: coffee equipment or at least some instant coffee for your caffeine fix, plus a few snacks (e.g. granola bars)
As important as your essentials kit, box or bags are, is only one small part of the whole moving endeavor. Contact our team at Brothers EZ Moving for a personal quote for our moving services!
Sources and further reading: