Are you about to exchange your urban lifestyle with life in a small(er) community? Some of the best tips for moving to a small town probably come from people who have done it themselves. Other than that, here are a few pointers to get you off to a good start:
Tips for Moving to a Small Town
- Job market: If you don’t already have a job at your new place of residence, keep in mind that the local job market might be comparatively thin. Depending on what kind of job you are looking for, a longer commute could be necessary. Telecommuting/work from home could be an additional option to consider.
- Daily commute and transportation: If you are coming from the city, the public transportation system in a small town will probably not be the same as there. Make sure you have your own reliable means of transportation, especially if you need to get from A to B outside the main operational/business hours. Also, here’s an interesting article about how you can use Google Maps to check on your public transportation status.
- Shopping: If you choose to move to a small town, your shopping options are naturally less varied. However, online shopping and the occasional trip to the next larger city should help with that. In the meantime, you can focus on supporting local businesses. Local shopping has the added benefit of bringing you into contact with the members of your new community.
- Privacy/anonymity: Living in larger and crowded cities usually affords more anonymity than you will find in smaller and tighter-knit towns. Depending on your personality, you might consider this a benefit or a disadvantage – or a mixture of both.
- Networking, new acquaintances and friendships: Here are a few examples for opportunities to meet new people and get engaged in the community: Consider sporting clubs, cultural or business associations, charities, volunteering, churches or other faith-based institutions, local politics, PTAs, etc. Look in your local newspaper to learn more about the possibilities. You can also find meetings and groups based on your interests and location on Meetup.com.
- Consider your expectations: The idea of small-town life often inspires particular expectations about such a lifestyle, some of them more cliche-based than others. Make sure your decision to relocate is based on realistic expectations, so that you won’t be disappointed.
- Embrace your new life and make yourself at home: Embrace the change in your circumstances and be ready to engage in your new community.
Any advice to share?
Once you are ready for your move and need a reliable moving company to get the job done, you are in the right place. Just let us know!
If YOU have already done the move and have some great tips for moving to a small town, please tell us more about it in the comments!