When you are looking for tips on how to move long-distance, you need to make sure to keep road safety on your “radar” as well. We have already written about the check-up for your car in a previous post. This time, we want to focus on some of the other aspects that will contribute to your road safety on the way to your new home.
Seating and seat belts
You already know that fastening your seat belts can save your life in case of an accident.
Every passenger needs to have their own appropriate seat in the car. If you are going to have small children with you, make sure that they are placed in the age and size appropriate seats, i.e. booster seats if applicable. The NHTSA/United States Department of Transportation provides an overview with information on how to choose the right seat and more on their website.
Packing the car
- Make sure that you don’t pack the car too full for an unrestricted view.
- Always have a first aid kit in the car, together with the rest of your emergency equipment.
- Most of your possessions will be transported on the moving truck. However, bring along your “Moving Essentials Kit“.
- Pack some food and non-alcoholic beverages for the passengers.
- You should be able to stay in contact with the people on the moving truck. Don’t forget to have your mobile phone handy, together with the right charging cables.
Weather and climate
You need to take into account the weather conditions/changes in climate and prepare accordingly:
- Check the weather forecast for your route.
- Make sure you have the terrain and weather-appropriate tires.
- If you expect a cooler climate, take a few blankets/warm coats with you in case the car breaks down or there is any other delay during your journey.
Make sure you get enough sleep the night before your journey. Take frequent breaks and adhere to the best practices for safe driving.
If your road trip takes you into a different state, familiarize yourself in advance with the potentially different driving laws.
You can find out more about road and driving safety tips from various resources via the link list below.
Want to know more?
If you are interested in reading more about how to move long distance, have a look at our blog category dedicated to long distance moving.
Sources and further reading: